Current Military Students

Responsibilities & certification information

As a veteran student at Jamestown Community College, you have unique duties and responsibilities so that you may receive your Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) educational benefits. Your school certifying official acts as a liaison between you and the VA while operating under VA federal guidelines. The VA has the ultimate authority in determining your eligibility for your VA educational entitlements. If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, contact the VA directly at 1.888.442.4551.

Military benefits 101

Your veterans’ educational benefits are provided through the GI Bill. Your entitlement period varies based on the educational program you are using (which, in turn, is based on your service history).

  1. Apply for benefits at (Check current rates.)
  2. Bring to your school certifying official (SCO) a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility (received from the VA upon application approval) and your most recent Member 4 DD-214.
  3. Submit a copy of your course schedule to your SCO every semester. If you withdraw from a class or change your enrollment in any way, contact your SCO immediately.

Important points:

  • You can set up direct deposit for your benefits when you first apply or by contacting the VA.
  • You will not receive veterans’ benefit payments during small breaks in school attendance. However, you can use the GI Bill during our summer sessions.
  • If you are transferring from another institution where you previously received benefits, You will need to notify the Department of Veterans Affairs that you are changing institutions. If you are the veteran, you will fill out Form 22-1995: Change of Place/Program of Training. If you are a dependent/spouse of a veteran, you will fill out Form 22-5495: Dependent Request for Change of Program or Place of Training.
  • In order to get a Transfer of Eligibility (TEB), you must determine if your dependent is eligible to receive funds through the Department of Defense.
  • The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment program (VR&E) is separate from the GI Bill. Learn more about VR&E.

Certification is the formal process of notifying the VA of a student’s enrollment status. You are required to submit a student schedule each semester to your school certifying official if you wish to receive educational benefits.

Failure to submit your schedule may result in an over-payment, under-payment, and/or non-payment of your benefits.

Enrollment status changes

Your school certifying official is required by law to report all student enrollment status changes to the VA. Enrollment changes include adding or dropping courses, changing your major or program, repeating a course that you have already received a letter grade in, if you stop attending or withdraw from school, and any changes in your contact information.

  • Change of major/program: If you decide to change your major or program, you are required to submit VA FORM 22-1995 Change of Program or Place of Training to the VA using VONAPP. If you cannot access VONAPP, contact your school certifying official for a paper version of the form.
  • Course adds, drops, and withdrawals: Your school certifying official is required to report any changes in enrollment to the VA; therefore, you are required to notify your school certifying official immediately if you add, drop, or withdraw from any courses throughout your semester. You may be required to pay back a portion of your benefits if a course is dropped, withdrawn, or receives a non punitive grade. It is your responsibility to verify information certified to the VA and repay any overpayment, if necessary. You must be enrolled full-time in order to receive full benefits. Students receiving Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits who withdraw are subject to benefit repayment unless there are extenuating circumstances, with an appeal process between the student and the VA.
  • Repeat or duplication: If you fail a course or receive a grade below departmental requirements, the course may be repeated and receive VA educational benefits. All other repeats or duplications CANNOT be certified.
Withdrawal process

If you enter into military service and/or are called into active duty prior to the end of an academic term, there is no tuition or fee liability.

Printer-friendly version

Contact Your School Certifying Official (SCO)

Jamestown Campus
North County Center


Cattaraugus County Campus