Academic support at JCC
The Learning Center provides services to support academic growth and success in partnership with students, faculty, and staff. As a complement to classroom instruction, our goal is to help students become independent, efficient, and confident learners.
Students can receive one-to-one tutoring from trained student tutors and experienced faculty members. The centers maintain libraries of learning resource materials and current textbooks. Computer labs are available for microcomputer applications, internet research, and access to course specific software.
The learning centers work closely with the Accessibility Services office. Students with disability-related learning needs can access assistive technology and can receive individualized assistance at both learning centers.
- With a tutor: Log into Starfish and follow these directions to make an appointment with a peer tutor
- For help with study skills: Log into Starfish and follow these directions to make an appointment for help with study skills
Tutoring appointments can take place in-person on the Cattaraugus County and Jamestown campuses, or at a distance using Zoom. You will choose your location option when you schedule your appointment in Starfish.
For distance tutoring, the Zoom link for your appointment will be provided in your appointment confirmation email. Please be sure to include your phone number in the comments box when you make your appointment so the tutor is able to reach you, should you have technical difficulties.
If you are unable to meet with a tutor on campus or via Zoom, or have other questions, please contact Chriss Bouch at 716.376.7539.
Learning Center workshops
Register for Wednesday lunchtime workshops via Zoom with the Learning Center:
- March 10 at noon - Get Back on Track: It's not too late! Learn the top academic mistakes that college students make and what to do about them.
- March 17 at noon - Time Management: Learn tips and tricks for managing academic, personal, and work time commitments, plus special tips for time management during the pandemic.
- March 24 at noon - Re-energize Your Motivation: Learn nine ways to create and maintain motivation throughout the semester.
- Check out all Learning Center and student life events »