Financial Aid

Don't Miss This

Get Ahead This Summer

Current JCC students may be eligible to receive financial aid for summer enrollment. Read the 2015 Financial Aid Summer Resource Guide for more information or contact your campus financial aid office for more information. Get ahead this summer at JCC.


The Business Office issues student account refund checks on a weekly basis.  Checks are sent to the current address listed in your BANNER account. They are not available for in-person pick-up.

A refund is issued when funds are paid to your account that exceed your tuition, fees, and other student bill charges. Generally a refund check is not issued for aid that has been authorized to your account but not received yet by the college. Because funds are received at various times, you may be issued multiple checks.

Check the status of your refund in Banner. Enter your User ID and PIN. If you don’t know your login information, there is a link above the User ID and a Forgot PIN button.

Click on Financial Aid, then “4. Your Bill. “ Select the term. When a check has been issued, “Refund” will appear under Charges. This is to balance out the payments, it is not an actual charge. When Balance Due is zero, all refunds have been issued. If additional funds are received later, the Business Office will issue another refund.

If aid you are expecting is not listed on your bill,  check the status under “3. Your Award Information, Award for Aid Year “. The General Information, Award Overview and Special Messages tabs are all important, as is the Loan Application History link. Holds preventing a refund being issued will also be displayed on Banner.

Please allow two weeks after funds have been credited as “paid” for your refund check to be processed, plus a minimum of three days mailing time. The Business Office will not consider a check lost in the mail until two weeks after the mail date. Checks received and then lost or stolen should be reported to the Business Office immediately.

Take a walk down Financial Avenue

JCC encourages all students, especially student loan borrowers, to check out SUNY Smart Track, a new resource with tools and services to help you prepare for your financial future. Please note that due to an incompatibility issue with Internet Explorer 11 and Flash, we recommend using Financial Avenue with Firefox, Chrome, or a lower version of Internet Explorer until Microsoft resolves the issue.

SST logo

Connect with an Affordable Education

In 2012, Jamestown Community College was named the “Top Performing Public Two-Year College” in New York according to The Chronicle of Higher Education, which looked at cost, federal aid, graduation rates, student aid, and more. At JCC, we connect 8 out of 10 of our full-time students with some type of financial aid. That means your education doesn’t have to break your budget.

Types of Financial Aid

JCC can help make your education more affordable, and your first step is applying for financial aid. JCC connects you with grants, loans, scholarships, and work study to help make your college education a reality.

  • Grants—Money offered by JCC to meet a student’s need that does not need to be repaid. Eligible JCC students have access to two major types of grants: federal grants and state grants from New York or Pennsylvania.
  • Loans—To help finance your college education, you can use federal or student loans. Loans are financial assistance that must be repaid over time once you graduate or are otherwise no longer enrolled.
  • Scholarships—A financial aid award from JCC or another donor that doesn’t need to be repaid. It can be given for academic achievement, outstanding talents in the arts or athletics, or other qualifications.
  • Work study—JCC provides part-time employment to eligible students to help with college expenses.
See answer
When should I file the FAFSA?

You will file the FAFSA once each year and you can file anytime after January 1st for the following academic school year. First time freshmen should apply by March 1st for priority consideration for JCC 1st-year student scholarships.If you have been enrolled at JCC before, file your FAFSA by May 1st after you and/or your parents have filed their income taxes.

See answer
I don’t live with my parents and they don’t help me with college. Why do I have to use their information on the FAFSA?

Being considered as dependent or independent on the  FAFSA does not depend on where you live, who claims you on their taxes, or whether you are self-sufficient. The intent of Congress is that the primary responsibility for a student's education should be with the student and student's family. If you have no contact with your parents, you should discuss your situation with the financial aid office.

See answer
Am I eligible for financial aid?

Financial aid is intended to help students earn a degree.  A student must be properly admitted and seeking a degree to be eligible for aid. If a student is eligible for the Federal Pell grant, most tiers of the Pell grant will adjust down to 3 credits. A student must be in at least 6 credits to be eligible for a Federal Direct Stafford loan. Students who withdraw from any or all classes shall be liable for payment of tuition and fees according to the published schedule and may be subject to a decrease in Title IV aid (PELL, ACG, SEOG, Stafford loans) depending on the timing of the withdrawal.  It is important to check with the financial aid office before withdrawing from any class to see how it will affect your current, and future, financial aid.

See answer
Are there any other requirements for financial aid?

Besides filing the necessary applications to be reviewed for financial aid, there are no general requirements for first-time students. There are, however, academic progress requirements for continuing students.

See answer
What if I have to repeat a course?

Financial aid is intended to help students earn a degree. You can receive aid for new credits towards the degree that you are seeking. If you should fail a course, you can receive aid to retake that same course. If you should withdraw from a course, you can receive aid to retake that same course. However, if you should receive a passing (D or above) for a course, you cannot receive state aid for that same course. If you want to raise a grade for a previously passed course, that course would need to be above your initial 12 full-time credits. There is one exception to this rule; you can receive federal aid to retake a class one time.

See answer
How do I get a financial aid refund?

Once your aid has paid, the Business Office has up to 14 days to process your funds. If you have aid above your JCC tuition and fees charges, a check will be sent to you at the address recorded with the Registrar’s office. When you get your refund depends on the status of your grant and/or loan and the time of year. If processing has been completed, you can typically expect a refund check early in October. You can check to see if your Pell grant or loan has been paid to your account and see if a refund has posted to your account by accessing your student bill at

See answer
Why do some students get refunds?

Not all students receive the same aid from the same sources.  Some students plan to only receive grants while other students may plan to receive grants and loans.

See answer
Are there other financial aid sources besides loans?

Yes, you can apply for scholarships and grants from JCC as well as from unexpected sources such as community foundations, labor unions, church groups, and civic and professional organizations.

See answer
What is TAP?

Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) is a grant for NYS resident students whose financial eligibility is determined by New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) in accordance with NYS laws and the state budget. To file a TAP grant application, please visit the HESC site.

When you file the TAP grant with HESC, the financial aid office receives electronic notification of your expected award. The college must certify or decertify a student for the TAP award based on HESC eligibility criteria. The college will notify you if you do not meet the eligibility criteria for the TAP award.

See answer
My award letter told me I was eligible for TAP (and/or a student loan). Why isn’t it on my account?

Your award notification provides information regarding your potential eligibility for federal, state, and some institutional aid, and is dependent on academic and enrollment eligibility. As advised in the award notification, the TAP award listed on your notification may have been an estimate. Both the state full time (TAP) and part time (APTS) grants require a separate application. You can check your TAP status and complete your application at; part-time students can download an APTS application from the JCC website. Student loans listed on your award notification are not automatic, but are dependent on completion of additional steps as explained in your award notification.

See answer
When do I start repaying my student loans?

After you graduate, leave school, or drop below half-time enrollment, you will have a six-month grace period before you begin repayment. During this period, you'll receive repayment information from your loan servicer, and you'll be notified of your first payment due date. Payments are usually due monthly.

See answer
What is the PEP grant?

The PEP grant is a grant for high school students concurrently enrolled at JCC through the Pre-College Enrollment Program.

See answer
What is the PHEAA grant?

 Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) Grants are for Pennsylvania residents who take at least 6 credit hours at either the Jamestown Campus or Warren Center. PHEAA will calculate awards based upon information the student submits on the FAFSA and their state grant application. To file a TAP grant application, please visit

See answer
I'm thinking about transferring. What should I do about my financial aid applications?

Be sure to add the school code for the other college to your FAFSA and TAP applications. Contact the other college’s Financial Aid office for further instructions.

See answer
Why do I keep getting letters from financial aid for items I have already submitted?

Either your documents crossed in the mail with our correspondence, or the documents you submitted were incomplete, i.e. missing information, illegible, or missing required signatures.

See answer
Why does your office ask for the same information I already provided on the FAFSA?

Approximately one-third students applying for federal aid are selected for a process called “verification.”  When a student’s FAFSA is selected for verification the financial aid office is charged with the responsibility to verify that certain information submitted on the FAFSA is accurate. If you are selected, this does not mean you have made an error on your FAFSA, but if you find an error, you should refrain from making changes to your FAFSA after you have been asked for verification documents as this could interfere with the review process being completed by the financial aid office.

See answer
What is the interest rate on a federal student loan?

For the most up-to-date information on federal loans, view their site at

See answer
Can I deny a loan if I don't need it?

Once we receive your loan proceeds you will be notified by email. You have the right under federal student loan regulations to cancel all or part of your loan by contacting the financial aid office within thirty (30) days of the date of the e-mail. You may cancel your loan by notifying your JCC Financial Aid office in writing. The return of any loan proceeds to your lender may result in your obligation to pay JCC for tuition and fees not paid by other sources, in addition to any refund of your loan that may be issued to you prior to our receiving your instructions for cancellation.

See answer
Who can take out a federal student loan?

As with all federal student aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Schools use the information from your FAFSA to determine how much student aid you will receive. Stafford Loans are generally included as part of you award package.

See answer
What can I use a student loan for? A car? A computer?

You can receive student loan funds to help with car payments, car repairs, and gasoline expenses. However, you cannot receive a student loan to replace a car loan.

See answer
How much can I take out for a student loan?

The Federal Direct Stafford Loan request form has general loan eligibility limits for students towards the bottom of page 1. Be careful when deciphering your loan needs. Be sure to complete page 2 of the loan request form; it can be a very useful tool to aid in calculating loan need.

See answer
Will my credit be checked for a federal student loan?

Federal student loans have low and fixed interest rates, generous repayment plans, no prepayment penalties, and no credit checks (except for PLUS Loans).

See answer
What is a transfer scholarship?

A transfer scholarship is a scholarship for students who will transfer from JCC to another institution in order to complete their four year degree.

See answer
When is financial aid applied to my bill?

Once you apply for financial aid, the financial aid office will receive your application electronically. If the office should need further information, they will contact you either by mail or e-mail. It is imperative that your respond to the request as soon as possible in order to have your aid in place before the semester begins. Once your application has been processed by the financial aid office, you will receive an award notification listing your full time aid eligibility. Student loans, Federal Work Study, and the TAP grant require further action from the student.